Index Labels

Nyakianda’s Long-Walk To Freedom

. . No comments:
There are times when we hear about some people’s life experiences and we just dismiss them as mere stories.  At times we even hope that we are dreaming and we shall soon wake up and find that it is not the reality.  This is a true story about Alice Nyakianda whose life has been full of mountains and valleys.  This is how she narrates her painful life experience to the Shabik magazine:

I was born in Kamuu Ruai in early 70s by my parents Miriam Wangui and Isaac Kirika.  My father was still earning very little which could not raise us.  I was still very young and so poverty had a very tight grip on our family.  My mother had to struggle to make sure that we had food on the table.  I accepted Christ when I was very young and I used to attend Bethel church.  I had a very heavy burden of praying for my family and especially for my mother who had a very complicated disease, that used to strike anytime regardless of location, caused her to remain unconscious for some time even if it was in the rain.  This made me to cry every now and then pleading for God’s mercy to heal my mother.

After my primary school education, I joined G.G. Kiriaini Secondary School in Kiambu.  School life was not easy since I was in and out of class every now and then.   God still had good plans upon my life. He saw me through life and school though the experiences were very painful.  At last, God heard my prayers and my mum was healed and at the same time, she accepted Christ in her life.  This was a prayer answered since I had been praying for my mum’s healing for a very long time.

After my ‘O’ levels, I joined my sister in Huruma where we stayed together for my life to keep on.  After a few months, I joined another sister in Njiru. After working there for awhile, a good friend of mine talked of a vacancy in a mattress industry.  We immediately took up the opportunity.  The work was much labour intensive, but all the same we had to do it to make ends meet.  We worked for four consecutive months without any payment having run out of patience we called it quits.

Life had to continue and so I ventured in Lang’ata estate where I got an opportunity to work in a show room.  Things were the same since even after working for two continuous months, I did not get any salary.  While working in the showroom, I fell in love with Mr. Peter Kabue whom I declared as Mr. Right.  After some time, we got married and started a happy family. After a year, we were blessed with our first born son Ng’ang’a.  At last, I thought that the devil had moved out of my way but I was very mistaken.  Things were just beginning to get hotter and hotter.  When I wished to expand our family, it became very difficult for me to conceive again, things just remained the same until I decided to consult a doctor.

After examination, the doctors declared that I could not conceive again.  Nobody could control my fears and I even found it difficult to explain it to my husband.  People started ridiculing me that I just wanted to maintain my girlish looks and that why I never wanted to give birth again.  I am the only person who knew where the truth lied and this was quite difficult to admit. 

After a period of six years, I went back to the hospital and I believe that God had reserved this for a testimony.  The doctors declared that I had to be operated on but on the contrary, I totally refused.  I knew that my God was real and that he had healing powers. One day, I felt totally ill and decided to visit a doctor.  After some checkups, the doctor confirmed that I was pregnant.  I did not believe what I was hearing and really had something to glorify God for.  I decided to visit the doctor who had declared that it was very much difficult for me to conceive again.
After carrying out tests, he declared that the results were positive.  The same doctor who had said that I could not conceive was the same person who said that I was pregnant.  I really thanked God that he had finally covered my shame.  At that time, we were hosting a group called “Kamueretho” where I used to lead the songs. Other women started telling me that I had a talent in singing but I just dismissed this as mere jokes.   I had not composed any song on my own and so I told them that I could sing only if somebody was willing to write down the songs for me.

This continued until I started singing in my dreams.  I would then wake up and write down the songs.  When the songs were ready, I requested Tarumbeta Africa to guide me to a studio.  I was directed to Sammy Gitonga where I have been paying slowly for the recording. The album is now ready and it is titled “Arata,” meaning “friends” among other songs.  Other songs highlighted are as the title “munianire wa ngai.”   May the name of the Lord be glorified.



No comments:

Post a Comment